Superphoenix assembly day 2: booms and elevator.
I started with the booms and elevator servos. You will notice on the following pictures that the rudders feature a carbon fiber tab. This is a specific setup for the Superphoenix version that is optimized for hovering and 3D aerobatics. The rudders have their surfaces increased by 30% with this tab.
I started with the rudder servos by putting them in their aero cover. It is a straightforward operation and the only specific thing I do here is to add a thin string of Sikaflex silicon glue on the servo strap before fastening it in position.
Once the servo got in the cover, I placed it in the corresponding pocket on the boom to mark the areas that would need a bit of trimming. That was mostly at the servo wire exit.
I also drilled the cover holes for the small countersink screws.
I then checked the control horn slot for compliancy. In this case ( prototype #2 ) the slot was not properly placed on the boom, but was OK on the elevator although a bit short. So I marked the proper location and routed the appropriate slot for the horns.
I then glued the control horns in position for the elevator and booms.
And the final result:
The servo cables for the booms and elevator will have to pass through the boom spar. There is a reservation for these cable made in the spar at the bottom of the boom. Passing the cable through that reservation will require you to make a long hook from a piano wire.
Note that I will make a MIL spec loom for this plane as I have done with the Scorpion Mk2.
The elevator is fastened in between the two booms by a set of aluminum pns and one M6 nylon screw per side.
The nylon screw insert tends to get clogged with some gelcoat. A quick de-burring with a X-acto will do the trick to allow an easy insertion on the M6 screw.
Similarly the aluminium pins must be fastened in the corresponding inserts and might also require some de-burring.